Visitor Guide 2023 Summer Update
Planning a visit to Independence and need some fun ideas on what to do while you are here? We’ve got you covered! Check out our quarterly update with our up-to-date list of events and activities for July, August, September, and early October – with some great stories too. We have plenty to see and do here in Independence. From history to hometown happenings and everything in between, your trail for a great vacation begins here!
National Frontier Trails Museum
We’re on a journey! The National Frontier Trails Museum is moving to a new, temporary location. We will reopen in the fall at the Truman Memorial Building on the lower level. Look for updates on our move on our Facebook page here.
On the Cover
We love history and a hometown feeling of nostalgia here in Independence! As you can see, we like to combine the past with our present. As our 33rd President Harry S. Truman once said “The only thing new in the world is the history you don’t know.” – so stop by for a visit to learn something new.
Our feature stories for the quarterly update share how history is alive and well in Independence.
- 1859 Jail Museum – Experience to history, outlaws, and hauntings of one of the oldest structures in Jackson County.
- Walk Main Street 1849 – Where history comes to life at the SantaCaliGon Festival.
- Location, Location, Location – Learn about great food and great venues in Independence.
- Take in the Sounds of Summer!
- Mark your calendar for our upcoming events!