Skip to main content

2024 Primary Election

As part of the City's strategic plan Independence for All, the City of Independence has created the Special Event permitting application and rules to implement an improved process to better track and respond to citizen requests and attract and retain visitors to the City's historic sites, amenities and events. This unified process will allow those holding a special event in Independence to complete a single application, which will be shared with all departments, instead of being sent to multiple departments for separate permit applications. Under this new system, a special event is any activity to be held in a single location on, or on a route throughout, city streets, sidewalks, parking lots, public parks and nature sanctuaries, rights-of-way, or on or within other city property or facilities, that involves a non-traditional or non-routine use of the property. Examples of special events include, but are not limited to, block parties, fundraisers, festivals, circuses, carnivals, parades, public performances, races or similar gatherings. 

A special event may also be a gathering on private property if there is a significant impact on city resources, traffic, public property, or other public infrastructure.

Special Event Permits

All special events taking place in Independence must be approved for a Special Event Permit unless governed by a separate agreement approved by the City Council.

Event organizers must complete a Special Event Application and pay the $25 application fee at least 45 days prior to the event. After a review by the relevant city departments, the applicant will be notified of all permit fees and any additional requirements before a Special Event Permit will be issued. All Special Events must be in compliance with the Rules and Conditions outlined in the documents below. If the same event will be help multiple times throughout the year at the same location, the event organizer may complete a single application with each date listed.

Completed applications should be returned to or the Regulated Industries Division of Community Development at City Hall. 

If you have questions about a proposed event, please call 816-325-7183 or email You may also refer to the Rules and Conditions, as well as FAQs, below.

FAQs for Special Events

Yes. In order to use large commercial tents, you will need to obtain a Tent Permit issued by the Community Development Department. You must submit plans and specifications for the tent within your Special Event application, and the Fire Department will perform an inspection prior to the event.

Yes, most signs displayed in the City must meet certain requirements and will need a permit. More than likely, you will need a Temporary Sign Permit issued by the Community Development Department, which can be obtained through a Special Event application

A Parade Permit from the Chief of Police is required for parades on City streets. To apply, you must complete a Special Event application no less than 45 days before the parade and permits cost $10. Contact the Police Department at 816-325-7271 for more information.

As part of your Special Event application, the number of barricades needed will be determined, and you will indicate your preference for obtaining them. Barricades may be supplied by a private company or by Public Works (816-325-7602) for a fee.

Depending on the type of food being served and the type of event, each vendor may need a Temporary Event Health Permit. For some non-profit multi-vendor sampling events, each individual vendor may not need a separate permit. The number of permits needed will be determined based on the answers provided on the Special Event application. A food safety inspection will be conducted prior to any food preparation or service at the event. For more information, visit the Health Department or contact them by phone 816-325-7803.

If alcohol is being served, all vendors need Liquor Licenses and Business Licenses at 816-325-7063 or 816-325-7079.

Alcohol Sales: If there will be alcohol sales at the event, each vendor will need a Business License from the City, if they do not already have one. Apply online or call the Licensing Division at 816-325-7063 or 816-325-7079.

Yes, anyone engaged in the sale of goods (including food) or services in the City must have a Business License issued by the Licensing Division. For more information, you can call 816-325-7063 or 816-325-7079 for more information.

Any park pavilion/shelter reservation that will host a special event involving selling concessions, 5K, a festival or an event that is not a typical "family and friends" event will require a Special Event permit as mentioned above.

For all Block Parties, please complete a Special Event permit application.

In the application, you may indicate if you would like Emergency Services equipment or personnel to stop by your event.

If your event requires special water or electrical connections, you will need to indicate the approximate location in your Special Event permit application. Electric is available in limited locations in and on City property. Please note that utility connections may be cost-prohibitive and require considerable time to install, based on the location and availability of connections, and the City reserves the right to require payment for the installation of new utility connections.