Skip to main content

Like the rules regarding many other types of business, the rules regarding the business of Short-Term Rentals (STR) can be complicated.  In addition to a basic understanding of fundamentals, it is essential for anyone engaged in the business of STR to keep their knowledge base up to date. 

The STR permitting process can involve all the various elements of property use including tax, licensing, and permit history, zoning restrictions, and code compliance.  This website is for informational use - the enabling Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) which regulates STR in the City is the ultimate authority.  STR permit holders and applicants are expected to know and understand the current rules and requirements of the business at the time they apply for an STR permit.  


Unified Development Ordinance

Note: the UDO can be found through the link above.  The online version of the City Code/UDO is not the official version. 

Ordinance 19412 was recently passed and has not yet been codified in the online version of the UDO.

Application Process

If you want to start operating a STR in the City of Independence, you must first apply for a Short-Term Rental Permit, which is reviewed and approved through the Planning Commission.  The application, STR Supplemental Application and STR Attestations Form can all be found on the Planning Commission webpage below:

Planning Commission Webpage

Example Evacuation Plan

Example Floor Plan

Example Parking Plan

Short-Term Rental Certifications