Skip to main content

City Initiatives on the August 6th Ballot

Effective May 1, 2018, all events taking place in Independence must be approved for a Special Event Permit unless approved prior to May 1 or governed by a separate agreement approved by the City Council. The application must be received 45 days prior to the event.

Any group, organization, or individual who is planning to operate a food booth during a fair, festival, auction, or other temporary event must obtain a Temporary Food Service Permit by following the procedures outlined in How do I get a Food Service Permit? The fee for all Temporary Permits is $150. Application must be received at least five business days prior to the scheduled event. The completed application, verification of business license, and fee should be mailed or delivered to the Independence City Hall at 111 E Maple St. You can also fax to (816) 325-7024, and we will collect the fee over the phone with a credit/debit card.

Application for Temporary Event Permit