Volunteer at Independence Animal Services
Independence Animal Services welcomes volunteers who share our vision of healthy animals and humane communities. We provide many opportunities to get involved! We are looking for volunteers who meet the following qualifications:
- Ability to provide 4 volunteer hours each month.
- Have reliable transportation.
- Be able to fully support Independence Animal Service’s vision, mission, and policies, and be able to communicate those to the public.
- Demonstrate good customer service skills and work well in a team environment.
- Complete our volunteer agreement and orientation.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be able to perform all role requirements safely and independently.
- Have an active email address.
If this sounds like you, please complete an online volunteer application today. After completing your application, contact us to attend an on-site orientation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 816-325-7207.
- Feline Care – cleaning, feeding, socializing, grooming, prepare/distribute enrichment, working with ringworm cats, adoption matchmaking.
- Canine Care – walking, socializing, prepare/distribute enrichment, training, rotations, playgroups, adoption matchmaking.
- Housekeeping – laundry, dishes, windows, stocking, distribute donations
- Clinic – TNR clinic assistants (recovery assistant/runners), laundry, cleaning, general clinic assistance
- Specialty skill opportunities – photography, marketing, veterinary/medical assistant, grooming.
- Off Site Events – adoptions, vaccine clinics, events
While we do not allow volunteers at the shelter under the age of 18, we do encourage young people interested in helping the shelter animals to consider organizing a fundraiser or donation drive. With the permission of the school, students may be able to complete this as a community service project while helping the shelter animals. You can check out our Amazon Wishlist to see items that we are currently requesting.
Does your team, group, or organization want to volunteer at the shelter? Independence Animal Services welcomes groups of as little as 5 to as many as 30 who are looking to complete a service project together. As part of your project, you will experience a tour of the facility. All members of the group must be at least 18 years of age.
Possible group projects may include:
- Maintaining walking trails; trimming low hanging limbs and laying mulch when available.
- Weeding/mulching gardens.
- Maintaining grounds.
- Potting plants and flowers that you have chosen to bring.
- Large project for the shelter.
- Cleaning the shelter, doing laundry, dishes, and windows.
Tools for outdoor projects (weed eaters, gloves, digging tools, etc.) are not provided by the shelter and should be brought.
To schedule a group project and tour, contact the volunteer coordinator at email@example.com.
Court-ordered community service hours are handled on an individual basis and are NOT available as part of the regular volunteer program. Please contact the volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Thank you again for your interest in volunteering with Independence Animal Services. We truly appreciate your desire to impact the lives of animals in Jackson County. Together, we will make strides in saving homeless and neglected companion animals in our community.