The theatre is located inside the Roger T. Sermon Community Center. The theatre is owned and operated by the City of Independence Parks/Recreation/Tourism Department. The three theatre groups collectively offer 10 performances throughout the year in the Powerhouse Theatre.
Powerhouse Theatre Foundation
- The foundation was established in 1997 to oversee the upkeep, renovation and improvements to the Powerhouse Theatre.
- The foundation is responsible for fundraising of the Powerhouse Theatre. All proceeds are used exclusively for theatre expenses.
- The foundation has used the money it raised to add in new lighting, upgrade the sound equipment, repair the balcony and stage, remodel the dressing rooms and install new seating.
Theatre Rental Fees
- Renting out the theatre space is on a case-by-case basis. The rental decision is up to the theatre group currently occupying the space for the next performance.
- If special sound or lighting is needed in the theatre, a representative from the Powerhouse Theatre will contact you. Extra fees for special services must be paid by the renter directly to the theatre representative by rental date.
- Please call the Sermon Center at 816-325-7370 for pricing and availability.
- Stage dimensions
- 26 ft. x 28 ft. with 5 ft. wing space on either side
- Main floor seating
- 140 seats
- Balcony seating
- 35 seats
- Quality movie theatre seats installed in 2021
- Balcony with seating and an orchestra pit area
- ADA seating on both main floor and balcony
- Sound system with two hanging, two handheld and two directional microphones
- New light board installed in 2023
- Upgraded stage curtains installed in 2019
- Renovated dressing rooms in 2018
- Stage workshop equipped to build sets and props