The Commission serves as an advocate for the tourism industry in Independence by educating residents and businesses about the economic, cultural, and historic value of tourism in Independence; promoting cooperation and communication among tourism sites; and addressing issues that affect tourism. The Commission advises and recommends policies, procedures, and programs that benefit tourism in Independence by helping to support the Tourism Division objectives and providing regular feedback to the Parks Recreation Tourism Department.
The Tourism Commission is composed of nine members, designated by the City Council, based upon recommendations from the Commission and representing the following organizations and entities: one member each from the Chamber of Commerce, Independence Square Merchants Association, Independence Economic Development Council, Truman Library, Attractions Coalition, Hotel & Lodging Alliance, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Visitors' Center and two At-Large members. The Commission will elect its Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Secretary to no more than three one-year terms, using a nominating committee consisting of members of the Tourism Commission. Each of the nine appointments must be approved by an affirmative vote of four Councilmembers and such Council approval shall constitute an appointment to the Commission. All nine members shall be full-working members of the Commission with all of the privileges and obligations attached thereto. Each appointment shall be for a term of three years beginning January 1. There will be no term limits for the Commission members. Due to the nature of this Commission none of the members of the Tourism Commission will be restricted from serving on another Council-appointed board or commission. Over one half the full membership shall constitute a Quorum to do business.
- Sam Rushay (Chair), Truman Library, term expires December 31, 2023
- Lyne Baker, Chamber of Commerce, term expires December 31, 2024
- Mike Calvert, At-Large, term expires December 31, 2023
- Scott Forsyth, Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints, term expires December 31, 2024
- Amy Kistler, Hotel & Lodging Alliance, term expires December 31, 2025
- Jodi Krantz, Independence Economic Development Council, term expired December 31, 2024
- Bobby McCutcheon, At-Large, term expires December 31, 2023
- Jeff McLaughlin, Independence Square Association, term expires December 31, 2024
- John Thorton, Attraction Coalition, term expires December 31, 2024